In-Home Veterinary and Integrative Care in Richmond and throughout Central Virginia
As part of her integrative approach to medicine, Dr. Hemsley offers a variety of complementary therapies. Dr. Hemsley practices Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM). TCVM has been used in Chinese medicine, dating back thousands of years. This modality views the patient as a whole as treats disease as a disharmony or imbalance.
Acupuncture involves insertion of sterile needles into discrete and specific points in order to cause a therapeutic effect. This may include additional methods such as electrical stimulation and moxibustion. There are 361 acupuncture points (“acupoints”) in the human body and 173 acupoints in animals.
What can acupuncture be used for?
- Musculoskeletal disorders: osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease, muscle soreness, back pain
- Neurological disorders: seizures, intervertebral disc disease
- Gastrointestinal disorders: diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, appetite stimulation
- Other chronic conditions: renal failure, chronic liver disease, various metabolic diseases, geriatric weakness, skin problems, chronic cough
- Quality of life maintenance and enhancement, hospice care
Other Holistic Therapies
With each acupuncture session, Dr. Hemsley performs an examination – which is different from the traditional “Western Medical” exam.
In Chinese Medicine, a patient’s tongue & pulse can tell you a lot of underlying disease.