In-Home Hospice & Palliative Care
In-Home Hospice & Palliative Care
As our pets age, they often need much more than food, water, and love.
At House Call Vet RVA, we are proud to offer in-home evaluations for older pet’s medical, physical, social-emotional, and mental needs. Like in other life stages, senior and geriatric pets require unique approaches to wellness, prevention, monitoring, and medical care to maximize their overall health, well-being, and longevity.
Older pets can face various issues such as multiple chronic diseases, trouble with weight loss or gain, chronic pain, mobility problems, or cognitive issues and need medications and other specialized support or care. Frequent communication to make treatment changes and adjustments will help make sure your older pet ages gracefully and stress-free.
At House Call Vet RVA, we are always looking for new and better ways to provide quality, up-to-date veterinary care for our patients. As a result, we are proud to offer veterinary acupuncture, therapeutic laser treatments, herbal medicine, and more! Learn more about us by visiting our FAQ page. Interested? Please fill our our Acupuncture and Laser Therapy Form.
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of sterile needles into discrete and specific points.
- Incorporating electrical stimulation, moxibustion and aquacupuncture may also be indicated for specific conditions.
- There are 361 acupuncture points (“acupoints”) in the human body and 173 acupoints in animals.
- Musculoskeletal disorders such as:
- Osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease, and muscle soreness, back pain
- Neurological disorders including:
- Seizures and intervertebral disc disease
- Various acute and chronic conditions such as:
- Renal failure, chronic liver disease, various metabolic diseases, geriatric weakness, skin problems, chronic cough & various gastrointestinal imbalances
- Quality of life maintenance, hospice & palliative care
Other Holistic Therapies
- In Chinese Medicine, a patient’s tongue & pulse can tell you a lot about underlying disease.
- With each acupuncture session, Dr. Hemsley performs an examination, which differs from the traditional “Western Medical” exam.
More About Acupuncture
Learn more about acupuncture by visiting the following resources:
In-Home Therapeutic Laser Treatments
The Drug-Free, Surgery-Free Solution
Laser therapy, or “photobiomodulation,” is the use of specific wavelengths of light to create therapeutic effects. These effects include improved healing time, pain reduction, increased circulation, and decreased swelling.
How does it work?
- Laser Therapeutic Effects
- During each painless treatment, laser energy increases circulation, drawing water, oxygen, and nutrients to the damaged area. This creates an optimal healing environment that reduces inflammation, swelling, muscle spasms, stiffness, and pain. As the injured area returns to normal, function is restored, and pain is relieved.
- Cellular Effects of Laser Therapy
- During laser therapy, the infrared laser light interacts with tissues at the cellular level, and metabolic activity increases within the cell, improving the transport of nutrients across the cell membrane. This initiates the increased production of cellular energy (ATP), leading to a cascade of beneficial effects, increasing cellular function and health.
What conditions can be treated with Class 4 Therapeutic Laser?
- Joint Pain
- Edema and Congestion
- Ligament Sprains
- Muscle Strains
- Puncture Wounds
- Post-Traumatic Injury
- Chronic Wounds
- Post-Surgical Pain
- Neck and Back Pain
- Hip Dysplasia
- Post-Orthopedic Surgical Recovery
How often should a patient receive laser therapy?
Acute conditions may be treated daily, particularly if they are accompanied by significant pain. More chronic problems respond better when treatments are received 2 to 3 times a week, tapering to once every week or two as improvement is seen.
Contact us to learn more!
Has effectiveness been demonstrated scientifically?
Yes. There are thousands of published studies demonstrating the clinical effectiveness of Laser Therapy. Among these, more than one hundred rigorously controlled scientific studies document the effectiveness of laser for many clinical conditions.
Does it hurt? What does a treatment feel like?
There is little or no sensation during treatment. Occasionally the patient feels mild, soothing warmth or tingling. Areas of pain or inflammation may be sensitive briefly before pain reduction.
Are there any side effects or associated risks?
During more than twenty years of use by healthcare providers all over the world, very few side effects have ever been reported. Occasionally some old injuries or pain syndromes may feel aggravated for a few days, as the healing response is more active after treatment.
How many laser therapy treatments does it take?
This depends on the nature of the condition being treated. For some acute conditions, 1 to 2 treatments may be sufficient. Those of a more chronic nature may require 5 to 8 (or more) treatments. Some conditions may require ongoing periodic care to control pain.
Your pet may feel improvement in their condition (usually pain reduction) after the first treatment. Sometimes they will not feel improvement for a number of treatments. This does not mean that nothing is happening. Each treatment is cumulative, and results are often felt after 3 or 4 sessions.
What can my pet expect during a treatment?
There is no patient sedation or restraint required, and the experience is usually pleasant and comforting to your pet. Although improvements are often seen after the first visit, most patients require several treatments (3 to 8) for the greatest benefit. For most conditions, we recommend a multi-visit treatment plan. Treatments vary in length, but most sites require 2 to 8 minutes. A majority of patients exhibit greater comfort and mobility within 12 to 24 hours after a laser treatment.
Class IV Laser Therapy treatments are cumulative in nature. The length and frequency of treatments vary with your pet’s condition.
A sample treatment schedule is as follows:
- Every other day for one week (3 total)
- Twice the second week (2 total)
- Once the third week (1 total)
- Boosters as needed